Now, AFX introduces the Collector Series – CLEAR. Cars that feature clear windshields and detailed interiors to add a whole new level of realism.
AFX achieves this by molding the body in clear material and then painting over everything except the areas that should be clear. This gives you clear windshields without the need for separate, bulky, glued in parts. A first in 1/64th scale.
And what do you see when you look through those clear windshields? Realistic printed color interiors. That’s right – seats, spare tires, carburetors, whatever was in the real car is in the interiors. You’ll be amazed at the difference it makes to the look of the car. And only AFX has it!
Yet again the experts come down on the side of realism and detail. Take a couple of minutes to read this review by the editors at Slot Car Illustrated to get some great additional photos and commentary on the new “CLEAR” line.
CLICK HERE for Review of AFX CLEAR Cars
- Only HO cars molded in clear – Extraordinary detail and realism
- 3D Printed Interior – Outstanding effect even up close
- Remarkably detailed body – Typical AFX, super realistic
- Brand new Mega-G chassis – Lowest, lightest, best handling chassis anywhere
- Superbly detailed graphics – Makes the play more realistic and enjoyable
- Up to 8 color graphics – No one even comes close
- Officially Licensed – As close as possible to the real thing
Commissioned by Henry Ford, the car was designed specifically to beat Ferrari at Le Mans, in part as a pay-back after Ferrari turned down Ford’s offer to buy the famous Italian marque in 1963. Indeed, the GT40 did beat Ferrari at Le Mans in 1966, then again in 1967, ’68 and ’69, dominating endurance sports car racing over the entire period.
GT40 #6 Drivers: Mario Andretti/ Lucien Bianchi
It was Andretti’s first Le Mans in 1966 and he was driving for the powerful Holman-Moody team. Expectations were high. Mario had finished the prior year, his first as a professional, by winning both the USAC Champ Car National Championship along with the Rookie of the Year title. And he was winning races again in ’66 on his way to a second consecutive USAC Championship. So he could be excused for feeling unbeatable even though he had almost no sports car experience and had never done a 24-hour race.
The team paired Mario with frequent Formula 1 and sports car racer Lucien Bianchi. Despite his name, Bianchi was Belgian and came by his racing genes honestly: his father was a race mechanic.
In spite of the potential, the speed just wasn’t there. The car, chassis XGT1, qualified 12th and would only complete about a quarter of the distance, 97 laps, before dropping out with a blown head gasket.
Mario returned the next year but crashed out of the race. He would not return again until 1982 and continued trying until 2000. His best result a 3rd in 1983 driving with his son, Michael.
As for Lucien, he came back to Le Mans in 1967 with Mario and DNF’d. However, when he returned again in 1968, this time with the John Wyer Team, he won the race overall driving another GT40.
Lucien Bianchi would die the following year while practicing for Le Mans.
SPECIALLY NUMBERED PACKAGING
The Collector Series GT40s come in specially numbered packaging. Each package has a coded number on the upper left-hand corner of the back of the blister pack. The 9 digit code shows the month and year of production and the incremental number of the package within the production run. Here is a sample:
In this example, the package was produced in the 11th month of 2007 and was the first package in the run.
- This is a completely new chassis that sets a new standard for performance. It is not just faster, it corners better and is more fun to drive. Check out this laundry list of firsts:
- Weight: Up to 30% lighter than any other HO chassis – Way more fun to drive
- Size: Lowest and narrowest chassis ever made – Much more realistic bodies
- Center of gravity: Lowest of all competitors – Corners better than any other chassis
- Guide Pin: Exclusive extra long tapered guide pin (Only AFX has it!) – Car stays in the slot longer
- Unique Monocoque Chassis: Lighter, stronger, out-handles the competition
- Ground Effects Magnets: Level 30 Neodymium – Stays glued to the track
- Pick-Up Shoes: High conductivity phosphor bronze – Gets more power to the motor
- Chassis Material: Nylatron – Super strong and tough
- Motor Armature: Precision Balanced – Revs to the moon, reliably
- Motor Magnets: Polymer (Only AFX has it!) – Up to 20% more powerful than larger ceramic magnets
WANT MORE . . . ?
Here is a link to the Shelby American Museum Website. In this sacred sanctuary resides the original #1 and #2 GT40s as they were driven by Miles/Hulme and McLaren/Amon. The site has high-quality photos of both cars from many different angles along with additional history. You can also buy posters and other memorabilia of these and many other famous Shelby creations. When you get to the site click on “Collection” for the photos and history. Then just browse. It is really cool – enjoy!
CLICK HERE for Shelby American Museum
If you would like to learn a little more about the drivers here you go.
CLICK HERE for Mario Andretti’s Home Page
CLICK HERE for Mario Andretti on Wikipedia
CLICK HERE for Lucien Bianchi on Wikipedia
Shipping & Returns
Shipping costs are determined by price, size, weight, destination, and selected shipping method. Orders take 1-3 business days to process before
being shipped. Orders are not processed on weekends or holidays.
Both domestic and international orders are shipped using USPS and are tracked by the Post Office. There are no extra fees for international
orders including customs fees. Customs fees are charged to the recipient upon arrival of the order.
Returns are accepted for all unused, unopened AFX products purchased directly from www.afxracing.com. For an item(s) purchased elsewhere,
please contact that hobby shop or online seller for their return policy.
If the item was purchased directly from www.afxracing.com, please do the following:
1. Contact Customer Service by email [email protected] or phone 877-866-9239.
2. Provide the following: Order Number, Part Number, Quantity of item(s) to be returned.
3. Send unused, unopened item(s) to address provided by your Customer Service Representative.
Please Note: Shipping charges for the original order and any subsequent return shipping costs are non-refundable. Accounts cannot be credited
for future purchases. Returned items cannot be exchanged.
Once the item(s) is received, you will be notified. If the item(s) meets refund qualifications (unused and unopened) a refund will be issued to the
credit card used for that order.
Having trouble with your AFX product? Contact Customer Service Today!
866-877-9237 | [email protected] | Warranty Claim Form